Air condition – It has been observed from medical studies that respiratory, muscle and joint diseases are increasing in people living or working in air-conditioned rooms.
In particular, an increase in morbidity during the months of increased use of air conditioners was recorded in California, USA, with primary causes of pneumonia, asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) , followed by cardiovascular and stroke .
The most common health problems in Greece with home air conditioners are:
- The pharyngitis (persistent detained 2 weeks)
- The rhinitis due to dryness of mucous from the air is recycled to the air
- The headache
- The cooling of muscles
- Worsening of arthritis or neuritis
- Dry skin and the appearance of dermatopathies
- The appearance of allergies from fungi and dust from the air conditioner filters
- The dry eyes
- The conjunctivitis
Also, from air conditioners in hospitals, hotels and workplaces, due to poor maintenance of water storage and transport systems in air conditioning, microbes that cause dangerous pneumonia can be developed by Legionela ( Legionnaires’ disease ).
What we must do to ensure that the use of air conditioners does not affect our health:
- Proper maintenance of air conditioners
- Clean filters at regular intervals
- Set at 25 degrees Celsius (ideal conditions temperature 25-26 degrees Celsius and 65% humidity)
- Frequent ventilation of the space (eg a little open the window constantly)
- Not steep cold – hot turns and vice versa
Air condition of Legionnaires: These are the symptoms
Legionnaires’ disease is a serious form of pneumonia. An extensive inflammation of the lungs usually caused by infection with a bacterium known as legionella.
Not contagious disease is the disease of legionaries from person to person through contact. Instead, most people stick to the disease by inhalation of bacteria. Older adults, smokers and weakened immune systems are particularly susceptible to Legionnaires’ disease.
Legionnaires’ disease also causes Pontiac fever, a milder disease that looks like a flu. Separately or together, the two diseases are simply called “Legionnaires’ disease. Pontiac fever usually leaves alone, but if left without any medical treatment, Legionnaires’ disease can be fatal.
Although early antibiotic treatment usually cure the disease, some people continue to experience problems after treatment.
Legionary disease from air conditioners usually develops 2 to 10 days after exposure of the person to the legionella bacterium. Most often it starts with the following symptoms:
- Muscle pain
- Fever that can reach 40 ° C and above
By the second or third day, the patient will develop other symptoms that may include:
- Cough , which may also have mucus and, sometimes, blood
- Shortness of breath
- Chest pain
- Symptoms in the gastrointestinal system such as nausea , vomiting and diarrhea
- Confusion, or other mental changes
Although Legionnaires’ disease from air conditioners primarily affects the lungs, it can occasionally cause infections in wounds and other parts of the body, including the heart.
A mild form of Legionnaires’ disease, known as Pontiac fever, can cause symptoms such as fever, chills, headaches and muscular pains. However, Pontiac fever does not infect your lungs and symptoms usually disappear within two to five days.
source – iatropedia.gr