As of 2.18pm on Sunday, 5,000,438 people had signed the petition, making it the most popular to have been submitted to the parliament website. The previous highest total of 4,150,260 was for a 2016 petition calling for a second referendum should the initial poll not provide a definitive enough result.
The petition continued to grow following Saturday’s march, which organisers claimed saw more than a million people take to the streets of London.
The woman behind the petition, Margaret Georgiadou, said on Saturday she had received death threats. Georgiadou tweeted that on Friday night she had received three such threats via telephone.
She also said she had deleted her Facebook account after receiving a “torrent of abuse”.
There have been conspiracy theories about the petition on both sides of the debate, with some saying crashes on the site since the petition launched on Thursday were a plot to prevent further signatures. Others claimed that a small proportion of signatures from overseas IP addresses – including one from North Korea – meant the petition had been hijacked by bots. In fact, 96% of the signatures were from the UK.
On Saturday’s march, protesters waving EU flags and carrying placardsweaved their way from Hyde Park Corner to Parliament Square.
MPs lined up on stage to address the crowds and call on the government to provide a “people’s vote” on Brexit.
The former Conservative MP Anna Soubry, now a member of the Independent Group, urged her parliamentary colleagues to “put your country first, get into the lobbies and vote for a people’s vote”.
Also addressing the crowds, the mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, called for article 50 to be withdrawn.
“It’s time to give us, the British people, a final say on Brexit,” he said.
It should also be noted to assist in portraying a balanced article there are many othe petitions getting support for leaving with “no deal” with the emphasis on respecting the democratic decision made back in 2016 by the people during the referendum.