Athens, 06 November 2019
According to the Dangerous Weather Newsletter issued today Wednesday 06 November 2019 by the National Meteorological Service (NMS), heavy rains and thunderstorms will be accompanied by hailstorms and strong winds :
- From midnight to today ( Wednesday 06-11-2019) on the northern islands of the Ionian Sea (mainly in the Corfu region ).
- By Thursday morning (07-11-2019) in Epirus (mainly in the western parts) and by noon in the other Ionian islands and possibly in the Western Solids.
- The potent effects expected by evening Thursday (7.11.2019)
Possible update by EMY of this Newsletter Tomorrow Thursday (07-11-2019)
Citizens can be updated daily for the development of exceptional weather events to regular weather reports of CMH and the CMH website at www.emy.gr .
The General Secretariat for Civil Protection ( www.civilprotection.gr ) of the Ministry of Citizen Protection has informed the relevant state departments involved, as well as the regions and municipalities of the country, to be on high alert to respond promptly. the effects of severe weather events.
At the same time, the General Secretariat for Civil Protection recommends that citizens be particularly careful in taking measures to protect themselves from the dangers arising from severe weather events .
In particular, in areas where heavy rainfall, thunderstorms or thunderstorms are forecast:
- Secure objects which, if carried away by severe weather, may cause injury or injury.
- Ensure that the house’s gutters and gutters are not clogged and functioning properly.
- Avoid crossing streams and streams, on foot or by car, during thunderstorms and rainfalls, but also for several hours after the end of their event
- Avoid rural activities and activities in marine and coastal areas during severe weather events (risk of lightning strikes).
- Protect immediately during a hail break. Refuge in a building or in a car and leave the safe area only when they are satisfied that the storm has passed. Hail can also be very dangerous for animals.
- Avoid crossing under large trees, under signboards and generally in areas where light objects (eg pots, broken glass, etc.) can detach and fall to the ground (eg under balconies) .
- To follow the instructions of local authorities, such as Traffic Police, etc.
Citizens can visit the ELAS website for information and announcements on the current state of the road and the flooding of the road due to flooding. www.astynomia.gr .
For more information and guidance on severe weather, citizens can visit the website of the General Secretariat for Civil Protection at www.civilprotection.gr .