Following yesterdays sad incident at Myrtos, here is some further information from Peter Lee sourced from Kefalonia Unplugged
The report here is misleading
You cannot ‘die from a wasp sting ‘ you can however die from anaphylactic shock as an allergic reaction to a wasp or any other sting or even allergy to a food product.
It is very sad that the beaches ( particularly Myrtos that is steeply shelving and has hazardous currents at times too) do not have lifeguards as a point of contact for emergency services.
It is true to say most people who have allergies carry their own epi-pen but a first allergic reaction cannot be planned for. I have lobbied to have lifeguards on the beaches here and it is mandatory on blue flagged beaches.
To buy an epi-pen ” just in case” is expensive and they have to be replaced regularly.
The taverna at Myrtos was described as ” not having an antidote”. There is no “antidote” for an allergic reaction. Just an epi-pen that contains adrenaline to support the body”s circulation until hospital is reached. In certain situations this is by no means always successful.
So the tavernas cannot be blamed
It is a tragedy that sometimes is inevitable…….