Strong rains and storms in central and northern Greece accompanied by temporary strong winds and possibly hail
Athens, July 13, 2019
According to the Extraordinary Weather Bulletin , issued on Saturday, July 13, 2019 by the National Meteorological Service (NMH) , based on the new forecasting data, the Special Weather Impact Bulletin issued on 12/07/2019 is amended in Dangerous Weather Sheet for the evening hours of Saturday 13/07/2019 until Sunday afternoon 14/07/2019 .
Strong rains and storms , which will be accompanied by temporarily strong winds and possibly hailstorms, will appear in the northern Ionian , Epirus , Macedonia , Thrace , Thessaly , Sporades , Evia , the northern Aegean and possibly Western Sterea .
It is noted that very high rains are expected from the night in the prefectures of Thessaloniki , Thermaikos and Chalkidiki and from the early morning hours of Sunday in the Sporades , the southern parts of eastern Macedonia and Thrace as well as the northern Aegean islands .
The phenomena from Sunday afternoon and from the northwest will gradually weaken .
Citizens can be updated daily for the development of exceptional weather events to regular weather reports of CMH and the CMH website at www.emy.gr .
The Civil Protection General Secretariat ( www.civilprotection.gr ) of the Ministry of Citizen Protection has informed the relevant state-owned agencies, as well as the regions and municipalities of the country, that they are in a high degree of civil protection readiness to deal directly the effects of the manifestation of intense weather phenomena .
At the same time, the General Secretariat for Civil Protection recommends that citizens be very careful, taking care to take self-protection measures against the dangers of the phenomenon of intense weather
In particular, in areas where heavy rainfall, storms or windy winds are expected to occur :
- Insure objects that, if overcome by intense weather, may cause disasters or injuries.
- Ensure that the slopes and gutters of the dwellings are not clogged and operate normally.
- Avoid crossing torrents and streams, walking or driving, during storms and rains, but also for several hours after the end of their event
- Avoid outdoor activities and activities in marine and coastal areas during the event of severe weather events (risk of lightning strikes).
- Protect immediately during hail. Take refuge in a building or in a car and not leave the safe place unless they are sure that the storm has passed. Hail may also be very dangerous for animals.
- Avoid passing under large trees, under hanging signs and generally from areas where light objects (eg pots, broken glass, etc.) can peel off and fall into the ground (eg under balconies) .
- Follow faithfully the instructions of local authorities such as Traffic Police,
For information and announcements about the current situation and the road network’s flood water inflow, citizens can visit the EL.AS website. www.astynomia.gr .
For more information and self-protection instructions from weather conditions, citizens can visit the General Civil Protection Secretariat ‘s website at www.civilprotection.gr .