On the basis of the issues raised by the Doris Association of Zoophiles on the big problem of stray animals, we are given the opportunity to give some thoughts on how we perceive our coexistence with them.
It is a matter of responsibility to deal with the problem in a way that will honor us all, by applying existing legislation to the proper and civilized management and welfare of stray pet animals.
Larger pet stray animals come from our fellow citizens who abandon them irresponsibly and in the worst case they are being abused and killed because some people consider them a threat.
To this end, specific actions such as:
- Establishment of a Program for the Management of Stops and Companion Animals on the following main axes:
Adoption or Replacement of stray animals into the environment
Compliance with legislation
- Claims for the establishment of a special state grant within the framework of the CFP for the stray. The EU has also developed and promoted a Community Action Plan on the Welfare of Animals, through which planning and expansion of the existing shelter can be planned to improve infrastructure with concrete interventions for its overall modernization.
With the number of animals being abandoned, it makes sense for the shelter to be unable to cope with their hospitality and care needs, so it is important to reduce their stay time there and at the same time to facilitate their care.
- An immediate realizable move is the creation of food and water supply facilities for the strays in specific places, which fortunately in our municipality is enough and suitable for this purpose.
- Immediate licensing and operation of the municipal veterinary clinic, which through its incomes can act as a care, treatment, sterilization, adoption and animal welfare and will be the pillar of animal and public health protection.
This is the responsibility of private veterinarians who offer and honor their services, wherever and whenever they are asked, on their backs.
Creating a social networking page for the municipality, to which the citizen will address any matter involving animals, from information to termination and which will promote the adoption of healthy animals.
Also, through the same page, it is possible to create a municipal information bank so that we can at all times have a full picture of the number of animals, their situation and the identification of owners who abandon it.
- Program of informing citizens through actions in schools, information material, educational programs, cooperation with animal-friendly organizations and events so as to get as many people as possible to get to know the problem, to become aware of and to know who to reach by participating actively.
- Information through operators, veterinarians, teams and volunteers to animal owners to get to know their obligations as well as legislation on animal welfare rules and their mandatory labeling.
- The re-establishment of the municipal police in our program will play a key role in tackling the problem by informing the rights and obligations of animal owners, sensitizing citizens and assisting with its forces where it is needed, in cooperation with ELAS.
Once the scope for information and counseling has been exhausted, in case of non-observance, in cooperation with the Hellenic Police, which should become more sensitive and effective in terms of abuse, we agree that the fine should be imposed and at least act as a deterrent.
Euthanasia as a means of suppressing the number of strays does not find us in agreement and we accept it only if an animal suffers and its physical condition is irreversible.
- As far as tourism enterprises and entrepreneurs are concerned, we believe that only the cooperation of all the stakeholders involved with the municipality can help to solve the problem and we will very clearly seek information and participation in the municipality’s programs.
Tourists who are sensitive to animal-related issues transfer their experiences to their countries of origin. So the indifference, abandonment, abuse and killing of an animal that may bother some entrepreneurs in their field, only bad can do in their image and in the tourist future of the business. The joint actions will therefore benefit everyone.
Regardless of whether or not someone is friendly, it is not in our eyes to close our eyes to an actual problem that as long as we do not touch it will grow and perpetuate with what this implies for the quality of our life and the harmonious coexistence of people and animals.
Regardless of whether or not animals love animals, how we behave and manage stray people is a clear example of the collective responsibility and culture of a society for which its citizens must be equally responsible and proud.