Worsening of the weather with heavy rains and storms to be temporarily accompanied by hailstorms and strong winds
Athens, July 15, 2019
According to the Extraordinary Weather Impact Bulletin , issued today by the National Meteorological Service (NMH) Monday 15 July 2019 , a new change in weather is expected from Tuesday afternoon (16-07-2019) and from west, with heavy rains and storms that will be temporarily accompanied by hailstorms and strong winds.
More detailed will be affected:
A. Tomorrow Tuesday (16-07-2019) from the afternoon hours the Ionian , Epirus , Western Macedonia , Western Sterea , Peloponnese and possibly Central Macedonia . On the evening the Thessaly , the eastern mainland and during the night to Tetarti (17-07-2019) the Sporades and the central and northern Evia .
B. In the morning hours of Wednesday (17-07-2019) the intense phenomena in the northwest will weaken and until midday will be limited to Thessaly , Sporades , Eastern Sterea and possibly Evia . Deterioration from afternoon hours.
C. Attica (mainly the west and north) , probably temporarily on Tuesday night (16-07-2019) towards Wednesday (17-07-2019) .
Citizens can be updated daily for the development of exceptional weather events to regular weather reports of CMH and the CMH website at www.emy.gr .
The General Secretariat for Civil Protection ( www.civilprotection.gr ) of the Ministry of Citizen Protection has informed the competent official concerned government agencies and the regions and municipalities of the country to be at increased civil protection preparedness to deal directly the effects of the manifestation of intense weather phenomena .
At the same time, the General Secretariat for Civil Protection advises the public to be very careful, taking care to obtain self-protection measures from risks arising from the event of severe weather phenomena .
In particular, in areas where heavy rainfall, storms, windy winds and hailstorms are expected to occur :
- Insure objects that, if overcome by intense weather, may cause disasters or injuries.
- Ensure that the slopes and gutters of the dwellings are not clogged and operate normally.
- Avoid crossing torrents and streams, walking or driving, during storms and rains, but also for several hours after the end of their event
- Avoid outdoor activities and activities in marine and coastal areas during the event of severe weather events (risk of lightning strikes).
- Protect immediately during hail. Take refuge in a building or in a car and not leave the safe place unless they are sure that the storm has passed. Hail may also be very dangerous for animals.
- Avoid passing under large trees, under hanging signs and generally from areas where light objects (eg pots, broken glass, etc.) can peel off and fall into the ground (eg under balconies) .
- Follow faithfully the instructions of local authorities such as Traffic Police,
For information and announcements about the current situation and the road network’s flood water inflow, citizens can visit the EL.AS website. www.astynomia.gr .
For more information and self-protection instructions from weather conditions, citizens can visit the General Civil Protection Secretariat ‘s website at www.civilprotection.gr .