The decision was made yesterday after a suggestion from infectious disease specialists due to the fear of the spread of the Omicron mutation, however today the Civil Aviation issued the directive to make the measures more specific.
These are: South Africa, Botswana, Namibia, Lesotho, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Eswatini, Zambia and Malawi.
The directive clarifies that entry into the country will be allowed only for Greeks who want to come for an important reason, with a special entry permit from the embassies, and will be quarantined for 10 days.
The directive from the Civil Aviation in detail
“The Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) announces to the passenger public the emergency airline direct flights abroad for travelers from South African countries.
Specifically, the notam for passengers on flights from nine (9) African countries (covering the countries of South Africa, Botswana, Namibia, Lesotho, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Eswatini, Zambia and Malawi), aims to limit the spread of COVID 19 as well as the new “Omicron” variant (Botswana mutation). Notam provides entry of only Greek nationals and other travelers from the specific countries of Africa who travel only for essential reasons (essential) with the condition of three (3) negative tests, 10-day quarantine and special entry permit to the Greek territory by the competent consular authorities of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs regardless of their vaccination status.
In particular, the notam for passengers from the nine (9) countries of Africa will be valid in principle until 3/12/21 and provides the following:
* Passengers whose flight has started from South Africa, Botswana, Namibia, Lesotho, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Eswatini, Zambia and Malawi are prohibited from entering Greece.
Only Greek passengers and citizens of other countries who travel for essential reasons and meet the following conditions are excluded from the air directive:
1) To have been diagnosed negative in a laboratory test for COVID-19 coronavirus by the PCR method within the last seventy two (72) hours, regardless of their vaccination status.
2) To have obtained permission from the local Embassies, Consulates and Consular Authorities of other countries, which represent our country in case of absence of the Greek Embassy.
3) All travellers from the nine (9) countries of Africa will be required to undergo a rapid test for Covid-19 upon arrival in Greece.
4) After entering the country will be imposed a restriction, quarantine of ten (10) days, in a designated area by the competent authorities and re-inspection of passengers after the expiration of ten days and the end of quarantine subject to negative molecular control (PCR).
5) The exceptions for the specific passengers from the nine (9) countries of Africa do not exempt travelers from any other condition of entry into Greece that is already in force.
The requirement of conditions (notam for passengers of flights from the nine (9) countries of Africa), for entry into Greece is valid for children from twelve (12) years and over.
As for the rest of the air flight instructions abroad, they are valid as they have been announced with the Press Release issued by the CAA on 26/11/2021.
Notes: Because in Greece there are no direct flights from the nine (9) destinations in Africa mentioned by notam, the tracking process of the country of departure for final arrival in Greece will be done with the known method provided by the PLF protocol. That is, all travellers to Greece, regardless of nationality, fill in the electronic form (Passenger Locator Form), at the electronic address travel.gov.gr., Providing information about the airport of departure and their total route “.