Latest update from Greek Cicil Protection Agency Issued this afternoon (16/07/19)
Athens, July 16, 2019
According to the Extraordinary Dangerous Weather Report , issued today by the National Meteorological Service (NMH) on Tuesday, July 16, 2019 , based on the latest available forecasts, the Special Weather Impact Bulletin with AA 14/2019 issued on Tuesday (15-07-2019), is amended as an Emergency List of Hazardous Weather Events , with the main features of heavy rains and storms that will be temporarily accompanied locally by hailstorms and strong winds .
More detailed will be affected:
A. Tuesday (16-07-2019) from the afternoon hours the Ionian , Epirus , Western Macedonia , Peloponnese , Western and Eastern Sterea , Thessaly , temporarily Central Macedonia and during the night towards Wednesday (17-07-2019) , Sporades , as well as central and northern Evia . The phenomena in the northern Ionian, Epirus , Western Macedonia and Western Stereaduring the night will weaken .
B. On Wednesday (17-07-2019) the South Ionian , the Peloponnese , Thessaly , the Sporades , the Eastern Sterea as well as the central and northern Euboea . Attempt from the meridian hours .
C. Attica (mainly the west and north ) temporarily during Tuesday night on Wednesday (17-07-2019).
Citizens can be updated daily for the development of exceptional weather events to regular weather reports of CMH and the CMH website at www.emy.gr .
The Civil Protection General Secretariat ( www.civilprotection.gr ) of the Ministry of Citizen Protection has informed the relevant state-owned agencies, as well as the regions and municipalities of the country, that they are in a high degree of civil protection readiness to deal directly the effects of the manifestation of intense weather phenomena.
At the same time, the General Secretariat for Civil Protection recommends that citizens be particularly cautious, taking care to take self-protection measures against the dangers of the phenomenon of severe weather .
In particular, in areas where heavy rainfall, storms or windy winds are expected to occur :
- Insure objects that, if overcome by intense weather, may cause disasters or injuries.
- Ensure that the slopes and gutters of the dwellings are not clogged and operate normally.
- Avoid crossing torrents and streams, walking or driving, during storms and rains, but also for several hours after the end of their event
- Avoid outdoor activities and activities in marine and coastal areas during the event of severe weather events (risk of lightning strikes).
- Protect immediately during hail. Take refuge in a building or in a car and not leave the safe place unless they are sure that the storm has passed. Hail may also be very dangerous for animals.
- Avoid passing under large trees, under hanging signs and generally from areas where light objects (eg pots, broken glass, etc.) can peel off and fall into the ground (eg under balconies) .
- Follow faithfully the instructions of local authorities such as Traffic Police,
For information and announcements about the current situation and the road network’s flood water inflow, citizens can visit the EL.AS website. www.astynomia.gr .
For more information and self-protection instructions from weather conditions, citizens can visit the General Civil Protection Secretariat ‘s website at www.civilprotection.gr .