Yesterday Rodi Kratsa (Ionian islands Regional Governor), Stavros Tralos (Deputy Reginal Governor), Sotiris Kouris Vice Regional Rural Development and Panagia Kappatos (MP) along with island representatives visited Agia Efimia area and Nifi which were both badly affected by flooding and landslides during the recent storm on 4th October.
Following this a press conference was held to update on findings and next actions, which include;
- Declare the areas civil protection emergency (action completed see report here)
- Considered events are a mixture of climate change, construction impact and water course and flow changes
- Considered good cooperative reactive responses to incidents
- Study for new rainwater diverting line agreed for Agia Efimia area.
- New projects need to be implemented including diverting rainwater pipeline from Agia Efimia
- Further studies required to determine root causes of recent issues
- Responsibility between region and municipality needs to be clarified
- Short term measures are required until new projects implemented.