The current Extraordinary Weather Deterioration Bulletin issued on Wednesday, September 23, 2020 , by the National Meteorological Service (EMY) , according to the latest forecast data, is extended until the morning hours of Tuesday 29-09-2020 . More specifically, heavy rains and thunderstorms will affect:
- from the early morning hours of Monday (28-09-2020) the Ionian islands , Epirus , western Sterea , western and gradually the rest of the Peloponnese and temporarily eastern Sterea and Thessaly . Weakening is expected from the evening hours.
- On Monday night and in the morning hours of Tuesday (29-09-2020) the intense phenomena are likely to affect Thrace and the islands of the northeastern Aegean.
Citizens can be updated daily for the development of exceptional weather events to regular weather reports of CMH and the CMH website at www.emy.gr .
The General Secretariat for Civil Protection ( www.civilprotection.gr ) of the Ministry of Civil Protection , has informed the competent state services involved, as well as the regions and municipalities of the country, in order to be on increased alert for civil protection , in order to deal immediately the effects of severe weather.
At the same time, the General Secretariat for Civil Protection advises citizens to be especially careful, taking care to take measures to protect themselves from the dangers arising from the occurrence of severe weather phenomena .
In particular, in areas where heavy rainfall, thunderstorms or gusts of wind are forecast :
- Insure items that, if swept away by severe weather, could cause damage or injury.
- Make sure that the gutters and gutters of the houses are not blocked and are operating normally.
- Avoid crossing torrents and streams, on foot or by vehicle, during storms and rainfall, but also for several hours after the end of their event
- Avoid field work and activities in the sea and coastal areas during severe weather (risk of lightning strikes).
- Avoid passing under large trees, under hanging signs and generally in areas where light objects (eg pots, broken glass, etc.) can come off and fall to the ground (eg under balconies). .
- To faithfully follow the instructions of the locally competent bodies, such as Traffic, etc.
For information and announcements regarding the prevailing situation and the passability of the road network due to the inflow of flood waters in it, the citizens can visit the website of EL.AS. www.astynomia.gr .
For more information and instructions for self-protection from severe weather conditions, citizens can visit the website of the General Secretariat for Civil Protection at www.civilprotection.gr .