Eventually today we bit the bullet and entered the realms of fantasy documention land and offices in Argostoli to swap a UK car licence for a greek liecence as we have been advised to do
The good news was in under two hours and only four stops the process was succesfully completed.
Converting or Renewing a valid driving licence issued by a EU Member State into the corresponding Greek licence.
First stop the vehicle licencing office in Argostoli (see map below) and make sure you have the relevant document applicable to your age group.
1) For those aged UNDER 65yrs
– Photocopy of passport
– Photocopy of residence certificate.
– Photocopy of current Driving Licence. If you have the old paper licence and not plastic licence you may need to get the paper licence translated
– Copy of your AFM (tax number)
– 1 photograph (6cm X 4cm we were advised) all photographers in Lithostroto will provide correct size if you tell them its for car licence use
Second stop the KEP office in Argostoli (see map below) and make sure you have the relevant document applicable to your age group.
- Form completed in licence office
- Residents permit
They will then issue e-paravalo form
Third stop any bank
- Pay €30 and get receipts
Fourth stop the vehicle licencing office in Argostoli (see map below) with documentation collected
- You will be given a temporary document that covers you for driving in Greece whilst licence checks are completed with DVLA.
Sit back have a beer and wait for them to contact you with your new Greek driving licence!
Licences are valid to age 65 yrs or the validity date of the UK licence you are swapping.
2) For those age 65 to 73 yrs
In addition to the above documents (1) you need:-
– two additional photos (total of 3)
– two medical reports – one from a pathologos (GP) and one frοm an ophthalmologist.
Licenses are vaild for 3 years.
3) For those aged 74 yrs to 79 yrs
As (2) above – with the addition that a driving test must be taken. Currently (January 2019) there is a backlog with tests so the government have given a 3/4 month extension for those needing to take the test. In the meantime you need to get a Certificate of temporary extension form the licencing authority.
Licenses are valid for 3 years.
4) For those aged 80 years.
As (2) and (3) above, with additional health checks.