According to the Extraordinary Weather Deterioration Report issued today Friday 20 December 2019 by the National Weather Service (NMS ), the weather is expected to be worsened by Sunday morning (22-12-2019) and northwest by stormy winds and strong winds. and thunderstorms accompanied by hailstorms .
1. Heavy rains and thunderstorms will occur :
On Sunday (22-12-2019)
a. From the early hours in the islands of the Ionian Sea , the Continent , the West Central and gradually the western Peloponnese .
b. From noon hours in the East and temporarily in Central Macedonia , gradually in Thrace and the islands of the Eastern Aegean .
c. From the evening hours in the Cyclades .
On Monday (23-12-2019)
a. Occasionally in the Ionian Islands , Epirus , Western Solidarity and the Western Peloponnese , with gradual fading of the noon hours and of the north.
b. The first morning hours in Thrace and the evening hours in the islands of the Eastern Aegean , the Dodecanese and the Cyclades .
c. By late afternoon probably in Crete .
2. Stormy south winds will blow on Sunday (22-12-2019), which will reach the seas 7 to 8 and Aegean local 9 beaufort . On Monday (23-12-2019) they will turn west and reach the Aegean 7 to 8 and the local Ionian 9 beaufort .
Citizens can be updated daily for the development of exceptional weather events to regular weather reports of CMH and the CMH website at www.emy.gr .
The General Secretariat for Civil Protection ( www.civilprotection.gr ) of the Ministry of Citizen Protection has informed the relevant state agencies involved, as well as the regions and municipalities of the country, that they are on an increased level of civil protection readiness to respond promptly. the effects of severe weather events .
At the same time, the General Secretariat for Civil Protection recommends that citizens be particularly cautious, taking care to take self-protection measures against the risks arising from severe weather events .
In particular, in areas where heavy rainfall, thunderstorms or thunderstorms are forecast :
- Secure objects which, if carried away by severe weather, may cause injury or injury.
- Ensure that the house’s gutters and gutters are not clogged and functioning properly.
- Avoid crossing streams and streams, on foot or by car, during thunderstorms and rainfalls, but also for several hours after the end of their event
- Avoid rural activities and activities in marine and coastal areas during severe weather events (risk of lightning strikes).
- Protect immediately during a hail break. Refuge in a building or in a car and leave the safe area only when they are satisfied that the storm has passed. Hail can also be very dangerous for animals.
- Avoid crossing under large trees, under signboards and generally in areas where light objects (eg pots, broken glass, etc.) can detach and fall to the ground (eg under balconies) .
- To follow the instructions of local authorities, such as Traffic Police, etc.
Citizens can visit the ELAS website for information and announcements on the current state of the road and the flooding of the road due to flooding. www.astynomia.gr .
For more information and guidance on severe weather, citizens can visit the website of the General Secretariat for Civil Protection at www.civilprotection.gr .